No matter how good your plan is, you might find that after a few weeks you let old habits slide back into your life. Or, perhaps something threw you off your game plan, such as illness or an emergency. However it happens, you find yourself back into your old habits of being a disorganized solopreneur. Here are some tips to get you back in the game:
- You Have Choices — Remember that you’re not without choices in your life. You can choose to let this slip up derail you completely or you can remind yourself why you wanted to get organized in the first place. And also learn from the experience, why did you fall back into your bad habits, in other words, what was working and what wasn’t working? Make adjustments and keep moving forward.
- Be Honest With Yourself – Were you committed to your plan, or were you expecting failure? Are there some changes you can make? Are there other factors at work? Are you over tired? Are you eating right? What caused you to go back to your old ways of procrastinating and being disorganized?
- Start Small – If you were simply overwhelmed with all that you want to accomplish, take a step back. Find one small area that you think you can get done in a small time frame, a few hours or 1 day, whatever works for you. Now schedule the time to work on only that area until it is done – and don’t procrastinate, sit down ready to work. Set a timer and see how quickly you can finish. Offer yourself a treat if you beat you estimated time, whatever will make it fun for you do it. In the words of Nike, Just Do It.
- Go Back to Your Calendar – Time it the one resource we can’t get more of. Make sure you are where you are supposed to be when you said you were going to be there. Using a calendar system is the best way to make sure this happens. If you’ve been writing things in it, even just a few random things here and there, then you already have a start. If you are not using a calendar system, start today. I personally using Google Calendar, and love the convenience of having it available on all my devices.
- Let Go – Take a deep breath. You didn’t get disorganized overnight, you won’t become organized overnight either. You will make bad choices, you won’t follow through with a system you set up. Don’t beat yourself up. The important thing is that you’re trying. Remember: Baby steps will get you there just as easily as leaps and bounds.
- Do What Works — If you’ve discovered a way to do something that works, stick to it. I’ve said this already, but it is so important it gets its own bold heading. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel. If it works, stick to it. Watch and make sure it is really working and not just a clever way to disguise more procrastinating. And build on your success, pay attention to what is working and why. And then how can you apply those ideas to other areas of your life and business that are also disorganized?
The fact is, starting is half the battle. Even if all you do is start with something small like filling in your calendar, or cleaning off your desk.
You have taken the first step, just by reading this far. You know you want to be organized, so start today and build on each success, before you know it you won’t even recognize the disorganized solopreneur you used to be.