How Do You Know if You Can Self Coach?

Thank you for Sharing

I was reading an interesting article from Seth Godin. The premise is that most of us are able to coach ourselves 90% of the time – and that we only need a coach the other 10% of the time.

That basketball coach screaming from the sidelines? There’s no way the player can hear what he’s saying. That’s okay. The shift is happening inside.

Click here to read Seth Godin’s article on self coaching.

But how do you know when you are in the 10%?

When I first started working with a Life Coach, I didn’t really know what I wanted to get from the coaching and at a certain point, my coach cut me loose, nicely, because she was not able to help me go any further, I had to take action on my own.

I had to make decisions and set goals, no longer just talk about these concepts. And I did take action, but it still took me a while – I can be stubborn (just a bit). But I needed the foundation that I built with my coach, and we are still friends to this day, because I knew how important it was that she was willing to tell me something I did not want to hear, but absolutely needed to hear.

These days, I self coach and still reach out to my coach when needed, but Seth is right, it is on a much more limited basis.

So to answer my own question, how do you know when you are in the 10%? If you are asking yourself if you need outside input, that may be a sign, and once you find a coach that you can trust, they will help you know when you need them less. Seth says:

Sooner or later, all motivation is self motivation. And the challenge and opportunity is in finding the external forces that will soon become internal ones.

For me, I needed a coach to build a foundation, you may need a coach to help you reach the finish line, whenever you do, know that getting outside help, will help you help yourself in the future.

As coaches give us the skills to grow, the best we can do is to continue to practice what we have learned.

Thank you for Sharing

Comments

  1. Interesting….I really like the perspectives here. Yes, I agree with Seth that a large percentage of the time I can coach myself but there are those times I need my coach so desperately. Good insight.

Leave a Reply